Search This Blog

Monday, April 28, 2008

Why Hire a Guide?

Gang,

I was talking with some people I just met this weekend. They were your average Wisconsin/Minnesota outdoorsy type people. Not hardcore fishing and hunting enthusiasts, but the kind of people engage in outdoors activity several times a year.

After the usual discussion about whether Green Bay Packer Aaron Rodgers is going to be worth a damn, the conversation drifted towards the fishing opener this weekend. I mentioned that I was a guide and looking forward to gamefish season.

One of the guys I was with asked why people would hire a guide when they could just go fishing by themselves. I thought about it for a minute, and realized there's no single reason people hire me to take them fishing.

Some don't have the equipment or the knowledge to fish our heavily pressured local lakes. For others its a chance to spend some quality time with a loved one (father+son/ husband+wife/ grandpa and grandson etc.) Some people want to learn a lake or a new technique for fishing. Some just want to catch fish when they go out. Some are in town from somewhere else and its easier to hire a guide than rent an equipped fishing boat.

I certainly subscribe to the last one. When I travel to distant fishing locations the cost and hassle of towing a boat can exceed that of a guide. When I went to texas, i tried to rent a bass boat, but it was actually cheaper to hire a guide. When I contacted him, I told him I more or less wanted to to use his boat, and he was perfectly happy with that. In fact I ended up working from the front of the boat while he relaxed and fished from the back, something as a guide you don't often have the chance to do.

All these things aside, I think they best single reason to hire a guide is so that at the end of the day, you don't have to be this guy:

No comments: